Four Guys, a Girl, and a Minivan
I think the title of this post will also be the title of my first novel. It will be a tale of an epic road trip to Colorado. Okay, so maybe our trip up here wasn't exactly epic-and I may not be able to complete a novel based solely on this trip. However, I can honestly say it is the best traveling experience I've ever had going to Colorado. I love my church family immensely and trips with them are always a blessing.
This year, we brought 58 people to Breckenridge to ski. Our caravan consists of a church bus, church van, and two minivanish SUVs. As you can probably infer from the title of this post, I was on one of the minivans, along with four of the guys. I'm not exactly sure why I was put on this particular vehicle, but I'm glad that I was. I mean, bus rides and church van rides are cool too...but this has just been a neat experience. It's less chaotic loading five people into a vehicle as opposed to 15-33, there's few enough people that we can listen to the radio agreeably, and there's a tad more room for sleeping than in a bus seat.
The trip up here took a little longer than our GPS predicted and I believe I can pinpoint the main cause of this: wimpy bladders. I know it can't be helped, and there's no blame to be placed or fingers to be pointed. I just find it very funny how often we had to stop. The trip was very smooth, pit stops and all. We even saw some buffalo on the way. And goats. One of our van mates even shared a bunch of goat trivia with us. It was very enlightening. One thing we didn't see much of was snow. Thankfully, we are predicted to get some snowfall here over the next few days. I look forward to walking around in a winter wonderland-even though it's spring break.
I was able to read quite a bit on the way up here and for that, I am very glad. I'm reading one of Charles Martin's novels, Wrapped in Rain. This is the only one of his novels that I haven't read yet. I read the others last summer after the author was recommended to me during last year's ski trip. I packed a small library to read during the trip and look forward to dividing my week between hitting the slopes and curling up with a book.
We are divided up into six condos, I believe. We began staying in these particular condos two years ago and it has been a great experience every year. We are within walking distance of a ski lift, shopping, and we can cook our own meals. This year, the condo I am in has 11 women staying in it. Seriously, I feel like Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies" should be playing in the background. I am in the upstairs bedroom with five other girls. This has proven to be an eventful experience, thus far. I think we were all delirious from traveling, and therefore extremely goofy. One of the girls explained our state as "having our giggle boxes turned over." I've always loved that expression.
Anyway, I have no doubt that week is going to be a blast! I always love getting to worship and fellowship with my church family for an entire week. I had better get some sleep because I'll be hitting the slopes bright and early. We have a lot of first time skiers this year, so prayers for safety are much appreciated. And if you feel like sending some up for those of us who are veteran skiers, that would be lovely as well :)
This year, we brought 58 people to Breckenridge to ski. Our caravan consists of a church bus, church van, and two minivanish SUVs. As you can probably infer from the title of this post, I was on one of the minivans, along with four of the guys. I'm not exactly sure why I was put on this particular vehicle, but I'm glad that I was. I mean, bus rides and church van rides are cool too...but this has just been a neat experience. It's less chaotic loading five people into a vehicle as opposed to 15-33, there's few enough people that we can listen to the radio agreeably, and there's a tad more room for sleeping than in a bus seat.
The trip up here took a little longer than our GPS predicted and I believe I can pinpoint the main cause of this: wimpy bladders. I know it can't be helped, and there's no blame to be placed or fingers to be pointed. I just find it very funny how often we had to stop. The trip was very smooth, pit stops and all. We even saw some buffalo on the way. And goats. One of our van mates even shared a bunch of goat trivia with us. It was very enlightening. One thing we didn't see much of was snow. Thankfully, we are predicted to get some snowfall here over the next few days. I look forward to walking around in a winter wonderland-even though it's spring break.
I was able to read quite a bit on the way up here and for that, I am very glad. I'm reading one of Charles Martin's novels, Wrapped in Rain. This is the only one of his novels that I haven't read yet. I read the others last summer after the author was recommended to me during last year's ski trip. I packed a small library to read during the trip and look forward to dividing my week between hitting the slopes and curling up with a book.
We are divided up into six condos, I believe. We began staying in these particular condos two years ago and it has been a great experience every year. We are within walking distance of a ski lift, shopping, and we can cook our own meals. This year, the condo I am in has 11 women staying in it. Seriously, I feel like Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies" should be playing in the background. I am in the upstairs bedroom with five other girls. This has proven to be an eventful experience, thus far. I think we were all delirious from traveling, and therefore extremely goofy. One of the girls explained our state as "having our giggle boxes turned over." I've always loved that expression.
Anyway, I have no doubt that week is going to be a blast! I always love getting to worship and fellowship with my church family for an entire week. I had better get some sleep because I'll be hitting the slopes bright and early. We have a lot of first time skiers this year, so prayers for safety are much appreciated. And if you feel like sending some up for those of us who are veteran skiers, that would be lovely as well :)

Comments
Post a Comment