Exceeding Abundantly Above
It's safe to say this past weekend was the best I've ever experienced. Friday and Saturday, I had the opportunity to see a ministry vision come to life, and I spent two days partnering in the Gospel with some of my favorite people. My church hosted Boundless, a conference for teenage girls. I had the honor of planning, organizing, writing material, teaching, and hanging out with some precious teenage girls. My heart was so full!
Sunday was my 27th birthday. Jayce, my boyfriend, showed up at my house with donuts from Dale's. You know you've got a winner when...am I right? Jayce took me to Ten Mile for worship, and we had our monthly potluck lunch afterward. There's no better cuisine than that of a Baptist potluck. Talk about a perfect birthday lunch!
The plan for the afternoon was to take our annual family trip to Bradbury Christmas Tree Farm. According to my dad, he's being doing this with our family for 30 years. It's quite possibly my favorite family tradition! I was also very excited that Jayce was able to go with my family for the first time! We spent a while searching for the perfect tree. First, we settled on one for Dad's house, and Sean cut it down. As we were narrowing down the perfect pick for Jayce's apartment, the Offenbackers cut down their tree.
We finally made a decision about Jayce's tree, and he kept asking me if I was certain it was the right one. I thought he was teasing me about how many trees we had looked at, or how picky I was about selecting one. I turned to ask Sean to bring his coveralls over, so Jayce wouldn't get his clothes muddy. When I turned back around, Jayce was dropping to one knee.
Clearly, I was surprised. I also find it very funny (and fitting) that I had a white chocolate mocha in my hand.
I believe I said yes about five or six times in response to his "Will you marry me?" We were stuck in this position for a few minutes, as it took me a while to realize that Jayce couldn't put the ring on my finger until I emptied my hands.
Jayce patiently waited, and I finally gathered my wits enough to set my coffee and his phone on the ground so he could proceed.
Success! There was much rejoicing!
I can't begin to express the joy that fills my heart! God is so gracious and good! His kindness toward me is unbelievable. I am so grateful for the opportunity to live out the Gospel in marriage.
For those of you who don't know our entire story, here's a little overview:
- July 13, 2013 Jayce and I met the first day of cell group leader training during the inaugural year of Next Camp at Bogg Springs.
- We remained friends, and plenty of people hinted and speculated that something more would happen.
- July 3, 2016 During a Traveler's game with his Geyer Springs church family, Jayce casually mentioned that he'd "gone back and forth" about the two of us. We discussed what that would look like, and we established that he needed to seek wise counsel.
- During the next few weeks, we had many intentional conversations and prayerfully considered whether or not to pursue marriage.
- August 6, 2016 We officially transitioned into "more than friends, less than engaged."
- During the next few months, we talked with our families, church families, close friends and mentors about what we were considering.
- Dec. 4, 2016 Jayce popped the question!
"Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21






Congratulations, Sam! You are an amazing young woman who inspires me and blesses me each time we are able to share time together. I know God will bless your engagement and marriage with His abundant love and grace. I know you two will pursue God together and He will use you guys in amazing ways in your lifetime covenant. I forgot to say, "WOOOHOOO!!!!" ;-)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind and gracious words! I am so grateful for the opportunities I've had to partner with you in Gospel ministry, and for the example you and Jamie set in marriage and family discipleship! You guys feel free to start sending nuggets of marital wisdom my way!
DeleteAMEN to your "WOOOHOOO!!!" :)