B.Y.O.M.

Bring Your Own Meat.

Tonight, a group of us got together to cook out at the Marina. We brought whatever meat our hearts desired, got a couple of grills ready, built a fire for warmth, and grilled away! Surprisingly, there was not a single hamburger brought. We had an assortment of chicken, steak, and even some bratwurst. The wind proved to be a bit of a challenge, but we managed to thwart its efforts to put out our fires. We were very thankful for a campfire, as the wind made it awfully chilly out by the water. Josh brought some potatoes, which we threw on the fire and ate whole, dipping them in barbecue sauce. It was a first for me, but it proved to be very tasty. Joanna also brought a couple of apples for us and I tried grilling a slice. It was okay, but I think I'll stick with regular, fresh fruit. Something just bothers me about hot fruit. After a quick Kroger trip for Hershey bars, graham crackers, and giant marshmallows, we began assembling s'mores. What's a campfire without s'mores? It's like a birthday party without a cake. It's just wrong.

At the moment, I smell like a campfire and burnt marshmallows. And I'm fairly sure marshmallow ended up in my hair somehow. (Gross, I know) However, it was totally worth it. There's nothing better than spending an evening enjoying God's creation and feasting with awesome friends. Nights like these reassure me that this stage in my life, these college years, are a blessing that I don't need to take for granted. God has blessed me with great friends that love Him and strive to follow His will.

Last night, I had the opportunity to spend some time with Kristi N, Mae, and Kaley. It was so much fun! I can't remember the last time we just hung out during the weekend. We went to Old South for dinner because none of them had ever been there before. We shared a plate of fried pickles, which were delicious, and each of us ended up ordering some form of chicken. Which is rather funny, because Kristi, Mae, and Kaley all went there with the intention of ordering breakfast food. Afterward, Mae and Kaley went to see our school's play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and Kristi and I decided to watch a movie. We rented "I hate Valentine's Day" from Redbox. It was okay, but since I've seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," which has the same couple in it, I was left slightly disappointed. Kristi informed me that she had never seen MBFGW. Appalled at such an admission, I was determined to fix this immediately. The other girls still weren't back yet, so we went to Hastings and rented it. Apparently, I had store credit, so I didn't even have to pay for the rental. Score!

I can't say that I've been very productive this weekend, but it's been very enjoyable nonetheless. I suppose it's time to get down to business and get some work done--right after I wash off the campfire smell that's been following me around all evening. Only five more days of class until spring break-I think I'm going to make it. Then it's Winter Jam on Friday and Colorado bound on Sunday for a week of skiing with the church fam!

Happy daylight savings! Enjoy the extra sunshine!

Comments

Popular Posts