Sneaky Sweet
This past week felt rather odd: I kept getting a day behind. For instance, if it was Wednesday, I thought it was Tuesday. This was a good thing, in reference to the approaching weekend at least. However, it was also a bad thing because it meant deadlines were closer than I thought. So all week long, I felt one step behind....yet one step closer to the weekend. It was a very strange feeling.
Around here, Thursdays call for a sort of unspoken celebration, as it is the pre-weekend. It seems like Thursday nights usually serve as a laid back evenings where we remind each other that we've almost made it to the end of the week. Unless one of us has a huge test or assignment due that Friday, we generally have a little time to hang out. Thursday nights are probably my favorite...especially now that I have something new to look forward to.
This past Thursday night, I went over to my friend Jessica's apartment for dinner. She made some delicious poppy seed chicken and I brought the ingredients for caramel bars. We just made an evening out of it; five of us girls hung out, ate, and watched NCIS. We have decided to make this a weekly ritual and begin with season one next week. I'm looking forward to it!
This weekend flew by way too fast considering how slowly last week went by. However, I was able to get quite a bit of work done and have some fun in the process. Highlights included: Whattaburger with some friends, coffee/homework at Hastings, running at Bona Dea, poppy seed chicken, chocolate chip cookies, movie afternoon with the roomie, more exercise and....a sneaky birthday surprise. [Insert sly smile here. Or evil laugh. Although, I'm not sure I'm capable of pulling of either.]
Today is my friend Josh's birthday. For most birthdays up here, girls do something special for their roommates such as decorating the room or providing yummy desserts in honor of the occasion. Guys on the other hand, not so much. Since Josh is a guy and his apartment-mates aren't really the decorative type, a few of us girls decided to step in.
Tesa baked a bunch of snicker doodles, which Josh happens to love, and we gave him a bag of exactly 21 cookies-one for every year his been around. I made some chocolate chip muffins, which he may or may not love...I'm not exactly sure what his stance is on chocolate chip muffins. But I thought muffins would serve as a better birthday breakfast than, say, nothing at all. Apparently everyone in the area has been turning 21, 11, 12, 22, or 111 because Wal-Mart was cleaned out of "2" and "1" candles. They did happen to have ones with letters on top that spelled out "Happy Birthday" though, so I went with those and placed one in each muffin. We also gathered a card, picture, streamers, balloons, and a couple of banners to put up in his apartment.
Where does the sneaky part come in? With the placement of these treats. I asked Blake, another good friend of ours and Josh's roommate, if he would give us the heads up after the birthday boy was asleep so we could set up our surprise-and to make sure the door was unlocked so we could get in. That part was pretty important as well. I think we tested Blake's patience by taking so long to get things ready, but he was kind enough to let us into his humble abode to do our sneaky deed. We set up the decorations and sweet treats without a hitch.
Here's my official shout-out: Happy Birthday, Josh! Hope it's great!
[I know you're not a huge fan of surprises...but at least we didn't cram a bunch of people in your apartment to shout, "Happy Birthday!" as you stumbled down the stairs on your way to class this morning. That would have been fun to wake up to :) ]
That's two birthday shout-outs in two weeks...I'm on a roll! Next up: Harmony D: best friend and roommate. I think I might get her the Godfather Trilogy for her birthday. Neither one of us have seen the movies, but after watching Ocean's Thirteen yesterday, we feel it necessary to educate ourselves on all things mobster. How do you witness to a gangster if you don't know the correct terminology with which to present the gospel to them? Plus, I hear they are very quotable.
Tonight I'm looking forward to Bible study with my Freshlife kiddos and ensemble practice afterward. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my days straight this week and it'll pass by at least slightly faster than the last.
Around here, Thursdays call for a sort of unspoken celebration, as it is the pre-weekend. It seems like Thursday nights usually serve as a laid back evenings where we remind each other that we've almost made it to the end of the week. Unless one of us has a huge test or assignment due that Friday, we generally have a little time to hang out. Thursday nights are probably my favorite...especially now that I have something new to look forward to.
This past Thursday night, I went over to my friend Jessica's apartment for dinner. She made some delicious poppy seed chicken and I brought the ingredients for caramel bars. We just made an evening out of it; five of us girls hung out, ate, and watched NCIS. We have decided to make this a weekly ritual and begin with season one next week. I'm looking forward to it!
This weekend flew by way too fast considering how slowly last week went by. However, I was able to get quite a bit of work done and have some fun in the process. Highlights included: Whattaburger with some friends, coffee/homework at Hastings, running at Bona Dea, poppy seed chicken, chocolate chip cookies, movie afternoon with the roomie, more exercise and....a sneaky birthday surprise. [Insert sly smile here. Or evil laugh. Although, I'm not sure I'm capable of pulling of either.]
Today is my friend Josh's birthday. For most birthdays up here, girls do something special for their roommates such as decorating the room or providing yummy desserts in honor of the occasion. Guys on the other hand, not so much. Since Josh is a guy and his apartment-mates aren't really the decorative type, a few of us girls decided to step in.
Tesa baked a bunch of snicker doodles, which Josh happens to love, and we gave him a bag of exactly 21 cookies-one for every year his been around. I made some chocolate chip muffins, which he may or may not love...I'm not exactly sure what his stance is on chocolate chip muffins. But I thought muffins would serve as a better birthday breakfast than, say, nothing at all. Apparently everyone in the area has been turning 21, 11, 12, 22, or 111 because Wal-Mart was cleaned out of "2" and "1" candles. They did happen to have ones with letters on top that spelled out "Happy Birthday" though, so I went with those and placed one in each muffin. We also gathered a card, picture, streamers, balloons, and a couple of banners to put up in his apartment.
Where does the sneaky part come in? With the placement of these treats. I asked Blake, another good friend of ours and Josh's roommate, if he would give us the heads up after the birthday boy was asleep so we could set up our surprise-and to make sure the door was unlocked so we could get in. That part was pretty important as well. I think we tested Blake's patience by taking so long to get things ready, but he was kind enough to let us into his humble abode to do our sneaky deed. We set up the decorations and sweet treats without a hitch.
Here's my official shout-out: Happy Birthday, Josh! Hope it's great!
[I know you're not a huge fan of surprises...but at least we didn't cram a bunch of people in your apartment to shout, "Happy Birthday!" as you stumbled down the stairs on your way to class this morning. That would have been fun to wake up to :) ]
That's two birthday shout-outs in two weeks...I'm on a roll! Next up: Harmony D: best friend and roommate. I think I might get her the Godfather Trilogy for her birthday. Neither one of us have seen the movies, but after watching Ocean's Thirteen yesterday, we feel it necessary to educate ourselves on all things mobster. How do you witness to a gangster if you don't know the correct terminology with which to present the gospel to them? Plus, I hear they are very quotable.
Tonight I'm looking forward to Bible study with my Freshlife kiddos and ensemble practice afterward. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my days straight this week and it'll pass by at least slightly faster than the last.
"Teach me Your way, O Lord, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart that I may fear Your name. I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever."

DO IT! I can't wait to watch them!!!
ReplyDelete