Heart-To-Hearts, Relient K, and Perspective
Extremely blessed.
That's how I feel. More importantly, that's what I am. No doubt about it.
I should be in bed, but I wanted to put the thoughts that are bouncing around in my head on paper-or screen, rather-before turning in. Otherwise, they'll just keep bouncing around and prevent sleep from coming. I love how God constructs perfect situations and conversations to bless my heart. Thursday nights usually mean Freshlife, the Bible study for freshmen that I lead. However, this semester, schedules have shifted around a bit so we moved our Bible study to Mondays. After our Church Relations meeting, I realized that I had the rest of the night free, which was a very odd feeling.
I ended up going on a Sonic run with my dear friend, Elizabeth S. We hadn't seen each other in quite some time, so I was very glad for the opportunity to catch up. I've been on a Relient K kick lately and it turns out she has been too. Well, she had a day of it. Mine seems to be sticking around. But that's beside the point. The point is that God uses things like getting stuck on a particular band's music to start awesome conversations. I made a comment about a quote from one of their new songs..."And if a nightmare finally does unfold, perspective is a lovely hand to hold." I noticed it one time last semester when I was driving to Little Rock. It's one of those phrases that you stumble upon and think, "Hmm...that's a good point." It cracks me up how they can switch gears from goofy, fun, and even slightly crazy to grounded, thought-provoking, yet still ever-so-clever. I had been thinking a lot about perspective and the affects it has on us as individuals, especially those who are believers.
Life is a series of events, of changes and transformations over a period of time. As believers, we have the opportunity to choose what perspective we take on an event or transformation in our lives. We can choose to be devastatingly impacted by transformation and let it control our thoughts, actions, and reactions.....or we can choose to perceive things as a child of the King. To realize that our God is still on the throne-He is still in control. Nothing in this life can change that fact. We are His and He is constantly working everything out for our own good. He takes both the good, happy things and the bad, tragic things in our lives and molds them to fit His purpose for us. I don't know about you, but I prefer the latter. Something like: I serve an amazing God, One who knows all. There isn't a single thing that my God can't handle. He is perfectly faithful and has a purpose for my life. He works every situation, even the bad, for my good. He is totally in control. It's all in His hands, so I don't need to worry about a thing.
Oh, I also ended up going to see a movie with another dear friend. Tesa and I graced the lovely Pickwood Theater with our presence in order to catch a showing of Leap Year. There were a few....suspenseful....moments. Just ask Tesa. She thought I was freaking out a little bit, but I was just worried that the ending was going to be tragic. Either Amy Adams would marry a weasel and the handsome Irishman would be left all alone....or the handsome Irishman would go back to his blond backstabbing snake in Dublin and Amy Adams would be left with the weasel or end up alone after breaking up with the weasel. Needless to say, it was a very intense last half hour. [Note: I promise I'm not so cruel as to judge someone to be a backstabbing snake...I got it straight from the handsome Irishman's mouth. But I'll confess to the weasel comment....that was me. I know, I'm horrible.] Anyway, I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone so I'll stop my rambling and retire.
Prayers for Reality Weekend would be wonderful! And also for Tesa....she's going to jail today. Don't ask.
That's how I feel. More importantly, that's what I am. No doubt about it.
I should be in bed, but I wanted to put the thoughts that are bouncing around in my head on paper-or screen, rather-before turning in. Otherwise, they'll just keep bouncing around and prevent sleep from coming. I love how God constructs perfect situations and conversations to bless my heart. Thursday nights usually mean Freshlife, the Bible study for freshmen that I lead. However, this semester, schedules have shifted around a bit so we moved our Bible study to Mondays. After our Church Relations meeting, I realized that I had the rest of the night free, which was a very odd feeling.
I ended up going on a Sonic run with my dear friend, Elizabeth S. We hadn't seen each other in quite some time, so I was very glad for the opportunity to catch up. I've been on a Relient K kick lately and it turns out she has been too. Well, she had a day of it. Mine seems to be sticking around. But that's beside the point. The point is that God uses things like getting stuck on a particular band's music to start awesome conversations. I made a comment about a quote from one of their new songs..."And if a nightmare finally does unfold, perspective is a lovely hand to hold." I noticed it one time last semester when I was driving to Little Rock. It's one of those phrases that you stumble upon and think, "Hmm...that's a good point." It cracks me up how they can switch gears from goofy, fun, and even slightly crazy to grounded, thought-provoking, yet still ever-so-clever. I had been thinking a lot about perspective and the affects it has on us as individuals, especially those who are believers.
Life is a series of events, of changes and transformations over a period of time. As believers, we have the opportunity to choose what perspective we take on an event or transformation in our lives. We can choose to be devastatingly impacted by transformation and let it control our thoughts, actions, and reactions.....or we can choose to perceive things as a child of the King. To realize that our God is still on the throne-He is still in control. Nothing in this life can change that fact. We are His and He is constantly working everything out for our own good. He takes both the good, happy things and the bad, tragic things in our lives and molds them to fit His purpose for us. I don't know about you, but I prefer the latter. Something like: I serve an amazing God, One who knows all. There isn't a single thing that my God can't handle. He is perfectly faithful and has a purpose for my life. He works every situation, even the bad, for my good. He is totally in control. It's all in His hands, so I don't need to worry about a thing.
Oh, I also ended up going to see a movie with another dear friend. Tesa and I graced the lovely Pickwood Theater with our presence in order to catch a showing of Leap Year. There were a few....suspenseful....moments. Just ask Tesa. She thought I was freaking out a little bit, but I was just worried that the ending was going to be tragic. Either Amy Adams would marry a weasel and the handsome Irishman would be left all alone....or the handsome Irishman would go back to his blond backstabbing snake in Dublin and Amy Adams would be left with the weasel or end up alone after breaking up with the weasel. Needless to say, it was a very intense last half hour. [Note: I promise I'm not so cruel as to judge someone to be a backstabbing snake...I got it straight from the handsome Irishman's mouth. But I'll confess to the weasel comment....that was me. I know, I'm horrible.] Anyway, I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone so I'll stop my rambling and retire.
Prayers for Reality Weekend would be wonderful! And also for Tesa....she's going to jail today. Don't ask.

oh you. how i enjoy your friendship.
ReplyDeletei'll have to see that movie now! i forgot it was out. thanks for not spoiling it. ha. :)