Rejoice Evermore
Back in April I posted an entry that had been in my drafts folder for a few months. I had written it, forgotten about it, and--through a series of events--rediscovered and posted it. My dear friend Jessica sent me an email shortly thereafter that began: "So, I know why you forgot to post your blog. It came at the perfect time."
Her statement took me completely by surprise; what a cool God moment! Her question led to one of those awesome conversations that delves into the Word and pushes us nearer to the heart of our Savior. She has graciously given me permission to share part of what we discussed. I'm so thankful God has orchestrated such precious friendships in my life! Essentially, Jessica posed this question:
It's a good question, right? I am no wise sage, so please don't be too disappointed that I don't have an answer that wraps her question into a nice, neat, adorable, little bow. All I could do was share the pieces of truth God had been using to work in my heart. So, I tried to break down a few things that God had been teaching me:
1) Be thankful. We are called to be thankful in all circumstances; that includes seasons of waiting (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Most of the time, for me at least, this doesn't necessarily mean that I feel thankful. Rather, I'm choosing to thank God for the adverse circumstances. Actually thanking Him for the uncertainty, the lessons I'm learning, and that I even have the opportunity to wrestle with His will because He's redeemed me. I thank Him for His Word and the ways in which He has already revealed Himself. Which leads me to number two.
2) Focus on His revealed will. Cling to His Word, the only absolute truth we have and the light for our journeys (John 17:17; Psalm 119:105). I also try to remember things He has already taught me and ways He has proven Himself perfectly faithful in the past. One thing I try to put into practice, of course, is to rely more on His Word and who He is than my experiences with Him. Truth trumps experience.
3) Speak truth to my heart. Sometimes this happens through verses I have memorized, turned to before, or have posted in different places. Other times, it comes from songs with Biblical truth that I listen to over and over, singing them back to my heart to remind me of what is true. [Update: Isaiah 26:3-4 has been brought to my attention lately, and puts into perfect words the concept I was trying to apply back then--for my mind to be stayed on Him.] And this leads to number four.
4) Rejoice. I noticed that this is mentioned just before our command to be thankful in all circumstances. 1 Thessalonians 5:16 says to rejoice always. I really like the way the KJV puts it: Rejoice evermore. This part also stems from a conversation I had with my Aunt Lisa recently about Philippians 4:4-7. We talked about verse 7, but I love how verse 4 tells us to rejoice. And then we have the all too familiar instruction to not be anxious, but to present everything to God with thanksgiving.
I think the two most important lessons I've received from these verses (as well as the past few months of my life) are that I have to be thankful and rejoice. It's not just picking out things that I can be thankful for; I have to actually be thankful for the circumstances themselves. For the waiting. For the uncertainty. For the wrestling. And when I take my circumstances and continually surrender them to the Lord, as I cling to His Word and remind myself of His truth over and over, verse seven comes to life.
His peace guards my heart and mind in Him. It gives me freedom from the fear and the lies. It gives me the freedom to trust Him, to rest in Him. I don't have to set up defenses and blockade my heart from questions and hurt. As I continually pursue Him, His Word and His presence consequently and supernaturally guard my heart and mind for me. I have uncertainties; He is certain. I have fears; He is love. I'm wrestling with questions and doubts; God is truth. Furthermore, He's not just concerned with the end result, but the journey. He allows, uses, and probably leads me straight into a lot of the wrestling. Therefore, I can face and endure it.
So what do we do when our hands have been out for a while, and we still don't know? We keep them open and keep telling God that we trust Him.
After writing the first part of this response, I wondered if 1 Thessalonians 5 and Philippians 4 had the same order, as far as instructions that we are given. Lo, and behold, both scriptures go like this:
I'm not saying that we should reduce our responses to life's trials down to a formula; however, this does give us a pretty great starting point, or so I thought!
Her statement took me completely by surprise; what a cool God moment! Her question led to one of those awesome conversations that delves into the Word and pushes us nearer to the heart of our Savior. She has graciously given me permission to share part of what we discussed. I'm so thankful God has orchestrated such precious friendships in my life! Essentially, Jessica posed this question:
"...I had already been thinking that I was sitting here with my hands stretched out waiting for God to show me where to go next. Praying at different times for different things. I just kept thinking, but what do we do now? What do we do when our hands are out and have been out for a while and we still don't know?"
It's a good question, right? I am no wise sage, so please don't be too disappointed that I don't have an answer that wraps her question into a nice, neat, adorable, little bow. All I could do was share the pieces of truth God had been using to work in my heart. So, I tried to break down a few things that God had been teaching me:
1) Be thankful. We are called to be thankful in all circumstances; that includes seasons of waiting (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Most of the time, for me at least, this doesn't necessarily mean that I feel thankful. Rather, I'm choosing to thank God for the adverse circumstances. Actually thanking Him for the uncertainty, the lessons I'm learning, and that I even have the opportunity to wrestle with His will because He's redeemed me. I thank Him for His Word and the ways in which He has already revealed Himself. Which leads me to number two.
2) Focus on His revealed will. Cling to His Word, the only absolute truth we have and the light for our journeys (John 17:17; Psalm 119:105). I also try to remember things He has already taught me and ways He has proven Himself perfectly faithful in the past. One thing I try to put into practice, of course, is to rely more on His Word and who He is than my experiences with Him. Truth trumps experience.
3) Speak truth to my heart. Sometimes this happens through verses I have memorized, turned to before, or have posted in different places. Other times, it comes from songs with Biblical truth that I listen to over and over, singing them back to my heart to remind me of what is true. [Update: Isaiah 26:3-4 has been brought to my attention lately, and puts into perfect words the concept I was trying to apply back then--for my mind to be stayed on Him.] And this leads to number four.
4) Rejoice. I noticed that this is mentioned just before our command to be thankful in all circumstances. 1 Thessalonians 5:16 says to rejoice always. I really like the way the KJV puts it: Rejoice evermore. This part also stems from a conversation I had with my Aunt Lisa recently about Philippians 4:4-7. We talked about verse 7, but I love how verse 4 tells us to rejoice. And then we have the all too familiar instruction to not be anxious, but to present everything to God with thanksgiving.
I think the two most important lessons I've received from these verses (as well as the past few months of my life) are that I have to be thankful and rejoice. It's not just picking out things that I can be thankful for; I have to actually be thankful for the circumstances themselves. For the waiting. For the uncertainty. For the wrestling. And when I take my circumstances and continually surrender them to the Lord, as I cling to His Word and remind myself of His truth over and over, verse seven comes to life.
His peace guards my heart and mind in Him. It gives me freedom from the fear and the lies. It gives me the freedom to trust Him, to rest in Him. I don't have to set up defenses and blockade my heart from questions and hurt. As I continually pursue Him, His Word and His presence consequently and supernaturally guard my heart and mind for me. I have uncertainties; He is certain. I have fears; He is love. I'm wrestling with questions and doubts; God is truth. Furthermore, He's not just concerned with the end result, but the journey. He allows, uses, and probably leads me straight into a lot of the wrestling. Therefore, I can face and endure it.
So what do we do when our hands have been out for a while, and we still don't know? We keep them open and keep telling God that we trust Him.
After writing the first part of this response, I wondered if 1 Thessalonians 5 and Philippians 4 had the same order, as far as instructions that we are given. Lo, and behold, both scriptures go like this:
- Rejoice
- Pray
- Give Thanks
I'm not saying that we should reduce our responses to life's trials down to a formula; however, this does give us a pretty great starting point, or so I thought!

Comments
Post a Comment