Hope & Trust
[Note: I actually wrote this a few months ago and failed to post it. So, yay for stumbling upon forgotten drafts!]
There has been a certain theme in my life of late, where God has been working on my heart a great deal in the areas of hope and trust.
A few months ago, my dear cousin Hannah posted this picture on Instagram:
We were sitting in my car at Sonic, talking about life, faith and our Lord. As the discussion got deeper, we found ourselves basically yelling at each other--not in an angry way, but in a passionate tone of agreement. It was at this point that Hannah noticed we were both sitting there, yelling at each other, with our hands out. Our conclusion? We have no idea what God is doing with our lives, but we trust Him.
If The Lord had told me two years ago that I would end up back home after graduation, working multiple part-time gigs and investing in my home church, there's a good chance I would have run from His plan. Not unlike Jonah, I probably would have conjured up a plan most opposite to what I had been told, and I would have run after it like a mad woman.
Please don't misunderstand; I love my life! I love where The Lord has me, what He's teaching me, and how He's using me at my home church and in my hometown. But I probably wouldn't have gotten to this place as quickly if He had laid it all out for me in advance. I would have questioned, wondered and probably tried to convince Him to do things a bit differently. I'm realizing more and more just how perfect His timing is. There are certain things that, if He were to go ahead and reveal them to me, my heart wouldn't be prepared for just yet. But I am so thankful for this journey. He has taught me a great deal about trusting Him--in big things, in little things, in silly things. I trust His infinite wisdom in guiding my life; that includes when and how He chooses to fill me in on what's to come.
He has gently taught me that ALL my hope must be in Him. Not in a created thing, not in a plan, not in an idea. Him alone. And He surely is the only One worthy of all my hope and trust.
Psalm 25:5 has become one of my favorite verses during this season of my life:
There has been a certain theme in my life of late, where God has been working on my heart a great deal in the areas of hope and trust.
A few months ago, my dear cousin Hannah posted this picture on Instagram:
We were sitting in my car at Sonic, talking about life, faith and our Lord. As the discussion got deeper, we found ourselves basically yelling at each other--not in an angry way, but in a passionate tone of agreement. It was at this point that Hannah noticed we were both sitting there, yelling at each other, with our hands out. Our conclusion? We have no idea what God is doing with our lives, but we trust Him.
If The Lord had told me two years ago that I would end up back home after graduation, working multiple part-time gigs and investing in my home church, there's a good chance I would have run from His plan. Not unlike Jonah, I probably would have conjured up a plan most opposite to what I had been told, and I would have run after it like a mad woman.
Please don't misunderstand; I love my life! I love where The Lord has me, what He's teaching me, and how He's using me at my home church and in my hometown. But I probably wouldn't have gotten to this place as quickly if He had laid it all out for me in advance. I would have questioned, wondered and probably tried to convince Him to do things a bit differently. I'm realizing more and more just how perfect His timing is. There are certain things that, if He were to go ahead and reveal them to me, my heart wouldn't be prepared for just yet. But I am so thankful for this journey. He has taught me a great deal about trusting Him--in big things, in little things, in silly things. I trust His infinite wisdom in guiding my life; that includes when and how He chooses to fill me in on what's to come.
He has gently taught me that ALL my hope must be in Him. Not in a created thing, not in a plan, not in an idea. Him alone. And He surely is the only One worthy of all my hope and trust.
Psalm 25:5 has become one of my favorite verses during this season of my life:
"Guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long." (NIV)I also love the way it's worded in the KJV:
"Lead me in Thy truth and teach me: for Thou art the God of my salvation; on Thee do I wait all the day."May my hope be in Him all day long. May I wait on Him, eager to be in His Presence, see what He wants to show me, and walk with Him moment by moment.


Comments
Post a Comment