Hillbilly Country
As I write this, I am sitting in Calvary Baptist Church of Ozark, listening to the lovely musical styling of the band playing at this D-Now. Two of my Freshlife kiddos are in the band-it's so cool to see them up there leading. Two others are small group leaders this weekend, which is very cool as well. Kim, Joe, Kristin, and Lauren: you guys are awesome :)
I came along this weekend as a techie, rather than a small group leader. This is definitely a new experience for me. For those of you who may not know me very well, electronics generally harbor negative feelings toward me. I have no idea why this is; they just don't seem to like me very much. So the fact that I'm here to help with the very area that is not my forte is rather ironic. At least, I think so.
We had a few technical difficulties yesterday but, thankfully, they were worked out last night. Except for a couple of minor glitches, things went very smoothly. Since I'm "with the band" this weekend, I am staying with them at the youth pastor's house-and oh, what a neat house. I had heard stories about it before, from members of a previous band.
The one thing that really makes it unique is the fire pole. Yes, that's right. A fire pole. It is awesome. I haven't actually gone down it yet, but I look forward to doing so. There are four girls sharing one room. I actually had their daughter, who the room belongs to, in my small group at this very D-Now last year. The five guys are sharing the boys' room, which has two big beds, and bunk beds. It's pretty neat. Very camo. Very guy.
When we first got to the house last night, we moseyed downstairs after dropping off our bags in our respective rooms. Our hosts outdid themselves fixing us food. For real. We had popcorn, candy, salsa, cheese dip, and grilled cheese sandwiches. I love grilled cheese sandwiches. Mr. Lane kept the popcorn coming as we were eating, which was rather funny. He'd pour in a bag, go pop another one, and refill what had been eaten. He was so nice!
We put in Hook last night, but none of us actually made it through the entire thing. One by one, we all excused ourselves to trudge back up the stairs and into bed. It wasn't that late, but we were all pretty tired.
This morning, we woke up to the smell of breakfast wafting up the stairs. We had bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits, and chocolate chip muffins. It was delicious! Plus, there was coffee, so that totally made my morning. We headed over to the church to hang out with the kiddos for a bit and eat lunch. After that, I put together playlists for the service tonight and made the slides for both tonight's service and tomorrow morning's service.
I have no idea what is in store for this evening. We have to pack up a lot of the equipment and make sure everything is ready for in the morning. But after that, anything is possible.
Carpet Ball is a possibility. What is Carpet Ball, do you ask? Only one of the most fun games ever. It brings back dear memories Bogg Springs. A few years ago, we staffers at Kidz Kamp decided to move the beloved Carpet Ball table. The Ping Pong Palace where it was located was very hot, as it was lacking an air conditioner. So we decided to move it from the Ping Pong Palace into the cafeteria because the cafeteria is air conditioned, and therefore much cooler. Moving the table required a little brainstorming. It's really long and really heavy. So we put one of the tables next to the window on the inside, opened the window, and slid the table through the window and onto the table. Pretty sweet technique, if you ask me. We Carpet Balled the night away in the comfort of the Bogg cafeteria. Good times :)
Anyway, this church has a Carpet Ball table. So last night, we played after the kids left. I did pretty well and even won a few games.
I'm going to be productive now and make sure that the lyrics are correct for tomorrow's slides. I have to stay one step ahead of technology. It likes to sneak up and sabotage my efforts. But not this time, no sir.
Oh, if you get a chance, you should check out I Am Second. It's the theme for this weekend's message. Really neat stuff.
p.s. The title is not a put-down. The high school's mascot here is actually a hillbilly.
I came along this weekend as a techie, rather than a small group leader. This is definitely a new experience for me. For those of you who may not know me very well, electronics generally harbor negative feelings toward me. I have no idea why this is; they just don't seem to like me very much. So the fact that I'm here to help with the very area that is not my forte is rather ironic. At least, I think so.
We had a few technical difficulties yesterday but, thankfully, they were worked out last night. Except for a couple of minor glitches, things went very smoothly. Since I'm "with the band" this weekend, I am staying with them at the youth pastor's house-and oh, what a neat house. I had heard stories about it before, from members of a previous band.
The one thing that really makes it unique is the fire pole. Yes, that's right. A fire pole. It is awesome. I haven't actually gone down it yet, but I look forward to doing so. There are four girls sharing one room. I actually had their daughter, who the room belongs to, in my small group at this very D-Now last year. The five guys are sharing the boys' room, which has two big beds, and bunk beds. It's pretty neat. Very camo. Very guy.
When we first got to the house last night, we moseyed downstairs after dropping off our bags in our respective rooms. Our hosts outdid themselves fixing us food. For real. We had popcorn, candy, salsa, cheese dip, and grilled cheese sandwiches. I love grilled cheese sandwiches. Mr. Lane kept the popcorn coming as we were eating, which was rather funny. He'd pour in a bag, go pop another one, and refill what had been eaten. He was so nice!
We put in Hook last night, but none of us actually made it through the entire thing. One by one, we all excused ourselves to trudge back up the stairs and into bed. It wasn't that late, but we were all pretty tired.
This morning, we woke up to the smell of breakfast wafting up the stairs. We had bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits, and chocolate chip muffins. It was delicious! Plus, there was coffee, so that totally made my morning. We headed over to the church to hang out with the kiddos for a bit and eat lunch. After that, I put together playlists for the service tonight and made the slides for both tonight's service and tomorrow morning's service.
I have no idea what is in store for this evening. We have to pack up a lot of the equipment and make sure everything is ready for in the morning. But after that, anything is possible.
Carpet Ball is a possibility. What is Carpet Ball, do you ask? Only one of the most fun games ever. It brings back dear memories Bogg Springs. A few years ago, we staffers at Kidz Kamp decided to move the beloved Carpet Ball table. The Ping Pong Palace where it was located was very hot, as it was lacking an air conditioner. So we decided to move it from the Ping Pong Palace into the cafeteria because the cafeteria is air conditioned, and therefore much cooler. Moving the table required a little brainstorming. It's really long and really heavy. So we put one of the tables next to the window on the inside, opened the window, and slid the table through the window and onto the table. Pretty sweet technique, if you ask me. We Carpet Balled the night away in the comfort of the Bogg cafeteria. Good times :)
Anyway, this church has a Carpet Ball table. So last night, we played after the kids left. I did pretty well and even won a few games.
I'm going to be productive now and make sure that the lyrics are correct for tomorrow's slides. I have to stay one step ahead of technology. It likes to sneak up and sabotage my efforts. But not this time, no sir.
Oh, if you get a chance, you should check out I Am Second. It's the theme for this weekend's message. Really neat stuff.
p.s. The title is not a put-down. The high school's mascot here is actually a hillbilly.

Comments
Post a Comment