The end of the semester is approaching, and it's a welcome end. Right now I should be looking over my notes for a test I have tomorrow, but updating this blog is much more appealing. It's been a while since I've updated, but things have been pretty busy. First there was Thanksgiving break. It was a welcome and much needed period of relaxation. It was nice to forget about classes, exams, and papers for a few days. I ate way too much, ate some more, and watched a bunch of Christmas movies and reruns. It was awesome to say the least. Then on Saturday, Tesa and I went to Winter Wonder Slam in Jonesboro. We grabbed some food in Conway with a couple of friends and then hit the road. Phase 1, as Tesa referred to it, was a blast. Performances by B. Reith, Stephanie Smith, Relient K, and Toby Mac were all phenomenal. Relient K did an acoustic set because one of the members had a family emergency, but it was awesome nonetheless. Saturday evening was also the night my grandpa went back into the hospital. Sadly, he passed away Tuesday night. As devastating as it is to lose a family member, I think it was the most peaceful passing anyone could have asked for. He was surrounded by his family and sleeping peacefully. He will be greatly missed, but I am so thankful that He is no longer suffering and is now in the presence of his Savior. He's up there with my mom, chillin' with Jesus. Pretty sweet, if you ask me.
Unfortunately, this week was already loaded with class deadlines and other activities, so it's been difficult for me to plan when I can be home and when I have to be at school. Tomorrow I have a test in my first class and a presentation in my second one. Then I'll be headed home to hang out with the family and go to the visitation for a while. Then tomorrow night I've got to come back to school because I have class at 9:00 Friday morning. The highlight of tomorrow will be when I get back to school. My freshlife group is going shopping for a three-month old baby girl who needs some Christmas presents. I can't wait! I'm not sure how the boys are going to feel about this, but if they complain, we can always send them to the toy section to play.
Friday is my birthday (woohoo!) and thus, phase 2. To explain the phase thing, Tesa explained to our friends Saturday that my birthday celebration has been divided into different phases. Phase 1 was Winter Wonder Slam, Phase 2 is my actual birthday, and Phase 3 is the Phil Wickham concert next weekend. I have left the planning of Phase 2 up to Tesa and Kristin. I'm sure it will be spectacular.
Saturday morning is my grandpa's funeral. I'm going to be singing a song that I learned when I was a lot younger called "Everlasting Place" by Nikki Leonti. Just a little background: my grandma and grandpa bought me a Nikki Leonti cd for Christmas or my birthday one year when I was probably in the fifth or sixth grade. "Everlasting Place" was the first song that I picked out to sing in church. Previous to this my mom had always been on the lookout for them. This happened back in the day, when everytime we got in the car my mom would say, "sing to me" and pop in an accompaniment tape and listen as I practiced. She is the only reason that I ever began singing. The first time I ever did a special in church by myself (Besides "Jesus Loves Me" as a toddler) was when I was eight years old. I had recently been in a play and had to sing a solo, "Make Me a Servant." My mom asked me if I would do it as a special a few months later. I was unsure about whether or not I could do it, but she informed me that she had already told Mrs. Ramona, our pianist, that I was going to sing. How could I say no? Moms are awesome at guilt trips. Maybe one day I'll be good at it, I think it's one of those things that comes naturally with motherhood. Needless to say, I sang the following Sunday night. And thus began my singing "career," if you can even call it that. The point is, I've been singing ever since then. My mom's gentle prodding is what started it, but by about the sixth grade it became a passion. I'm not exactly sure why I went off on this tangent. Probably becuase the chocolate milk I had earlier is wearing off, so I'll wrap this up.
The next few days are going to be pretty difficult for my family, so prayers are more than welcome. I'm looking forward to writing all about the joys of Phase 2 and Phase 3 in the next week. Below are the lyrics from the song I'm singing Saturday. My grandpa always asked me to sing this particular song if he knew I was going to be visiting their church, and I think it's very appropriate. It refers to someone who knows God and His love and then refers to someone who needs God, which is exactly what my grandpa was all about. He always did his best to live in a way that glorified God and he lived for telling others about his Savior.
"Everlasting Place" by Nikki Leonti
Unfortunately, this week was already loaded with class deadlines and other activities, so it's been difficult for me to plan when I can be home and when I have to be at school. Tomorrow I have a test in my first class and a presentation in my second one. Then I'll be headed home to hang out with the family and go to the visitation for a while. Then tomorrow night I've got to come back to school because I have class at 9:00 Friday morning. The highlight of tomorrow will be when I get back to school. My freshlife group is going shopping for a three-month old baby girl who needs some Christmas presents. I can't wait! I'm not sure how the boys are going to feel about this, but if they complain, we can always send them to the toy section to play.
Friday is my birthday (woohoo!) and thus, phase 2. To explain the phase thing, Tesa explained to our friends Saturday that my birthday celebration has been divided into different phases. Phase 1 was Winter Wonder Slam, Phase 2 is my actual birthday, and Phase 3 is the Phil Wickham concert next weekend. I have left the planning of Phase 2 up to Tesa and Kristin. I'm sure it will be spectacular.
Saturday morning is my grandpa's funeral. I'm going to be singing a song that I learned when I was a lot younger called "Everlasting Place" by Nikki Leonti. Just a little background: my grandma and grandpa bought me a Nikki Leonti cd for Christmas or my birthday one year when I was probably in the fifth or sixth grade. "Everlasting Place" was the first song that I picked out to sing in church. Previous to this my mom had always been on the lookout for them. This happened back in the day, when everytime we got in the car my mom would say, "sing to me" and pop in an accompaniment tape and listen as I practiced. She is the only reason that I ever began singing. The first time I ever did a special in church by myself (Besides "Jesus Loves Me" as a toddler) was when I was eight years old. I had recently been in a play and had to sing a solo, "Make Me a Servant." My mom asked me if I would do it as a special a few months later. I was unsure about whether or not I could do it, but she informed me that she had already told Mrs. Ramona, our pianist, that I was going to sing. How could I say no? Moms are awesome at guilt trips. Maybe one day I'll be good at it, I think it's one of those things that comes naturally with motherhood. Needless to say, I sang the following Sunday night. And thus began my singing "career," if you can even call it that. The point is, I've been singing ever since then. My mom's gentle prodding is what started it, but by about the sixth grade it became a passion. I'm not exactly sure why I went off on this tangent. Probably becuase the chocolate milk I had earlier is wearing off, so I'll wrap this up.
The next few days are going to be pretty difficult for my family, so prayers are more than welcome. I'm looking forward to writing all about the joys of Phase 2 and Phase 3 in the next week. Below are the lyrics from the song I'm singing Saturday. My grandpa always asked me to sing this particular song if he knew I was going to be visiting their church, and I think it's very appropriate. It refers to someone who knows God and His love and then refers to someone who needs God, which is exactly what my grandpa was all about. He always did his best to live in a way that glorified God and he lived for telling others about his Savior.
"Everlasting Place" by Nikki Leonti
I can see beyond
The meadows and the fields,
I can see forever.
And I can tell you now
That His love is real,
And holding me together.
And I want to tell you that
Life isn't always easy,
But I've found better days
Waiting there for me.
Don't you wanna come with me
To an everlasting place?
No tears and no pain,
Forever we'll remain.
Forever in the arms of love,
Sheltered in the wonder of
Such a beautiful place,
It's an everlasting place.
And if it's hurting you,
Choices that you've made,
Regret is your companion.
Just lift your eyes and pray,
He'll receive You now,
You are not abandoned.
And I don't care about
Things you used to do.
Cuz I see better days
Waiting there for you.
Don't you wanna come with me
To an everlasting place?
No tears and no pain,
Forever we'll remain.
Forever in the arms of love,
Sheltered in the wonder of,
Such a beautiful place,
It's an everlasting place.

Comments
Post a Comment