This is my first blogging experience! To be completely honest, I never really saw myself as a blog person. However, I'm majoring in journalism, so I feel the need to practice my writing skills. I actually do a lot of writing, usually about whatever God happens to be teaching me at the moment, but I never do anything with it. So now I guess I have a place to put it. The only difference is that now other people will be reading it. If I'm being completely honest, that fact makes me a little bit nervous. I mean, if my writing reflects the rambling style of conversation I tend to partake in, it may not promote my writing abilities very well. However, I will try not to let my apprehensions inhibit my writing. Oh, and I have to thank my roommate, Harmony, for encouraging me to create one of these. She needs someone to follow (blog-stalk) so I thought I would oblige her. Sarcasm aside, I am very thankful for the best friend/roomie that God has blessed me with. So thanks, Harm :)
I suppose I can start out by explaining the title that I've chosen. Peculiar Treasures comes from a verse found in Exodus, and it is also mentioned in a series of books by Robin Jones Gunn that I absolutely love. The phrase became a theme that kept popping up in my life a couple of summers ago. Then just recently, I was having a discussion with my Aunt Lisa about how we, as God's chosen people, are supposed to be different, set-apart, even weird from some people's perspective. She then shared with me a conversation that she had with my mom years ago-before I was even thought of. Apparently some people had been discussing a particular Christian that they knew and had noted how "different" and "weird" he or she was. My mom then went on to say that God tells us to be different; He calls us to be a "peculiar people," as she put it. Now, this may not seem like a very big deal to some of you....but to me it was very special. You see, my mom passed away a few years ago. Since I'm not able to have these conversations with her, I cherish hearing the things she had to say, particularly those about her beliefs and convictions. It's kind of like I'm able to hear the thoughts of her heart vicariously through others, whose lives she touched. God had used that verse, that theme, to do some difficult, but amazing work in my life. So when I heard that my mom had been impacted by the same verse, it was really special. There's no doubt in my mind that God carefully constructed both conversations, and I'm so thankful that He did.
Anyway, I didn't mean to write so much during my first entry. This blog will mostly be used for sharing: verses that I find thought provoking (or just really cool); funny stories (usually at my expense), general updates on my life (who doesn't want to hear about crazy college kids?), what God's showing me, and whatever else I randomly decide to write about.
I hope that you'll enjoy reading this and that you'll be blessed by what God can do with a sinful, clumsy, imperfect college girl who strives to let Him have control.
-Samantha C
I suppose I can start out by explaining the title that I've chosen. Peculiar Treasures comes from a verse found in Exodus, and it is also mentioned in a series of books by Robin Jones Gunn that I absolutely love. The phrase became a theme that kept popping up in my life a couple of summers ago. Then just recently, I was having a discussion with my Aunt Lisa about how we, as God's chosen people, are supposed to be different, set-apart, even weird from some people's perspective. She then shared with me a conversation that she had with my mom years ago-before I was even thought of. Apparently some people had been discussing a particular Christian that they knew and had noted how "different" and "weird" he or she was. My mom then went on to say that God tells us to be different; He calls us to be a "peculiar people," as she put it. Now, this may not seem like a very big deal to some of you....but to me it was very special. You see, my mom passed away a few years ago. Since I'm not able to have these conversations with her, I cherish hearing the things she had to say, particularly those about her beliefs and convictions. It's kind of like I'm able to hear the thoughts of her heart vicariously through others, whose lives she touched. God had used that verse, that theme, to do some difficult, but amazing work in my life. So when I heard that my mom had been impacted by the same verse, it was really special. There's no doubt in my mind that God carefully constructed both conversations, and I'm so thankful that He did.
Anyway, I didn't mean to write so much during my first entry. This blog will mostly be used for sharing: verses that I find thought provoking (or just really cool); funny stories (usually at my expense), general updates on my life (who doesn't want to hear about crazy college kids?), what God's showing me, and whatever else I randomly decide to write about.
I hope that you'll enjoy reading this and that you'll be blessed by what God can do with a sinful, clumsy, imperfect college girl who strives to let Him have control.
-Samantha C

oh sam...you have def picked the right major. this is def your thing!! i love the fact that you included your mother. i almost shead a hppy tear but as you know...i have no heart.(jk) neways. i loved it and i cant wait to hear more about how college life is treating you. i am very excited to read about the verses you are going to share with us bc i can always use a good verse to get me through the day or to sleep on at night. i have always looked up to you ever since we met in the 8th grade...i think...no wait it was the 6th grade bc remember you were my sister in girls ensemble. but yea i am glad that God put some one like you in my life. i think that me being at Tech is one of the best things to happen to me thus far!! love ya girl!
ReplyDelete~Kristin~